Garden City, New York
In 1947, on 10 acres adjacent to Adelphi University, the Waldorf Demonstration School of Adelphi College opened its doors. Through the financial support and generosity of H. A. W. Myrin and his wife, Mabel Pew Myrin, the school was built in seven stages from 1947 through 1958. Under the strong guidance and leadership of John Gardner, the school expanded to include a High School, which graduated its first class in 1960. From 1964 through 1978, in conjunction with Adelphi University, Mr. Gardner instituted the first formal Waldorf Teacher Training Program which was housed at the school. Many teachers received their Master’s Degree in Waldorf Education at the Institute and went on to teach in Waldorf schools throughout the United States.
Marlborough, New Hampshire
In 1971, the Waldorf School’s campus was expanded further when it received a 225-year-old farm, which is now known as Camp Glen Brook, in Marlborough, New Hampshire. Through the efforts and generosity of High School Chairman Peter Curran, Glen Brook has become a regular part of the school’s programs. Continuing their studies in this natural and “hands-on” setting of fields, woods, streams, and historic buildings, students in Grades 4 through 12 take a week-long trip while students in the third grade take a three-day trip. In 1999, through the generosity of Dr. Robert White and his son David White, Camp Glen Brook received White Meadows, increasing the New Hampshire campus to 250 acres.